The students are divided into five houses. Formally four houses were established in 1918 by Principal Hartley with the names Cinnamon Gardens, Bambalapitiya North & South and Colpetty. They were renamed in 1921 with names derived from past headmasters and principals of the college by Principal Major H. L Reed. In 1970 the fifth house was established in memory of Principal Reed. The houses are led by House Captains, competing in all major games to win the inter-house games and house colours are awarded winners. The annual athletics meet is a major event in the school calendar, and is a very significant event as it involves the participation of a great number of students and brings together a majority of the school together to celebrate true sporting spirit.