History and Background
The first Interact Club in Sri Lanka was the St. John’s Interact Club, Jaffna which was sponsored by the Rotary Club of Jaffna. Charted on the 18th of November 1965, the Interact Club of Royal College is the second Interact Club in the island and the third in Asia, and now is the oldest Functioning Interact Club in Sri Lanka. It is sponsored by the Rotary Club of Colombo.
The President of the Club before receiving the charter was Int. Raj Bar Kumara Kulasinghe. The Charter President of the Club is Int. Nande Palihakkara who served as president in 1965/1966. The charter secretary is Int. P. A. De Silva.
The First Staff Advisor of the club was Mr. Lenny De Silva. From the beginning, the Interact Club of Royal College has grown to be one of the most active and innovative Clubs in the school carrying out projects in all the avenues of service. This club has inspired many present clubs in Sri Lanka.
Vision and Mission
- To recognize and develop constructive leadership and personal integrity.
- To encourage and practice thoughtfulness and helpfulness to others.
- To create an awareness of the importance of home and family.
- To build a respect a right for the others based on recognition of the worth of each individual.
- To emphasize acceptance of individual responsibility as the basis of personal success, community improvement and group achievement.
- To develop life skills including self development, time management and personal finances.
- To recognize the dignity and value of all useful occupations as opportunities to serve the community.
- To provide opportunity for gaining increase knowledge and understanding of community national and world affairs.
- To open avenues of personal and group action leading to the advancement of international understanding and goodwill towards all peoples.
- To create more awareness and understanding about the avenues of International Understanding and Green Life and indulge in more projects centered around these two avenues as not much attention was paid to them in the past.
- Community Service
- Club Service
- International Understanding
- Green life
- New Generations
- Youth Service
- Continue to serve the community whilst developing skills such as leadership and teamwork amongst members and to inculcate a sense of pride for college.
President – Mindula Suriyabandara
Secretary – Mithsuka Thilakarathne
Treasurer – Sajad Irshad